Jeans are probably one of the wardrobe staples that get the most use. They’re the ultimate pieces to wear for the weekend, a date night, and even the office. But with all that use, what is the best way to take care of them. Really, it comes down to knowing how to wash right.
While there are lots of tricks you can follow to make sure you’re taking care of your denim, it turns out the biggest mistake you can make is to stick them in the dryer at high heat. Not only does this shrink denim, but it can also distort the shape of your jeans. If you’re interested in finding out how to wash jeans the right way, we’re breaking down our top tips ahead.
1. It is recommended to wash your jeans about every five to 10 wears.
2. If you are worried about washing your jeans too often and fear they might be fading, soak them in cold water and vinegar for an hour, and hang them to dry instead.
3. If you opt for the washing machine, turn your jeans inside out to protect against fading and also to ensure the dirtiest part of the jeans get clean.
4. Jeans can be hand-washed using cold water and a little bit of detergent. Soak the jeans for about 15 to 30 minutes and rinse. To make sure the jeans are fully cleaned, try repeating this process two to three times.
5. When drying jeans after hand-washing, don’t wring them. Instead, roll them up and press on them to get the water out, then lay them flat or hang them up to dry.
6. When using the washing machine to dry your jeans, make sure to use a medium to low heat setting.
Go on to shop our favorite jeans to buy this season.